To: Parishes of the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
From: The Reverend Canon Gordon Redden, Acting Executive Secretary of Synod
Date: March 16, 2020
Subject: Process for proposing names for nomination for election as Coadjutor Bishop
Pursuant to the call for an Electoral Synod communicated on February 11, 2020, please find below the process for proposing names for nomination for election as Coadjutor Bishop.
1. Electoral Synod process: The search, proposal, nomination and election process are determined by Diocesan Canon 1: Election, Appointment, Consecration and Resignation of Bishops.
2. Search Committee: Diocesan Council has appointed an Episcopal Search Committee composed of Daphne Beeler, Robert Sheppard, Jordan Waterbury and The Reverends Brieanna Andrews, Colin Nicolle and Laura Marie Piotrowicz. Council appointed Edith Marshall as Secretary to the Search committee.
3. Description of Qualifications and Requirements: The Search Committee has prepared a written description of the qualifications and requirements of our next Diocesan Bishop and it has been approved at a special meeting of Diocesan Council on March 13, 2020.
4. Who can propose names for nomination to the Search Committee? Any member of Synod and members of the Provincial House of Bishops may propose names to the Search Committee. The Search Committee may, in its own right, propose names.
5. Parishioners who are not eligible, as defined above, to propose names, may discuss the proposed name with their Synod delegate(s) and the Synod delegate may propose the name on behalf of the parishioner.
6. Process for proposing a name or names to the Search Committee:
a. Any member of Synod may submit in writing to the Secretary of the Episcopal Search Committee the name or names of any person or persons proposed by the member for nomination as Coadjutor Bishop.
b. A person proposed for nomination must be a priest or bishop of the Anglican Church of Canada or a church in full communion therewith who is at least thirty years and less than seventy years of age.
c. A person proposed for nomination must also meet the criteria set out in General Qualifications and Requirements for the Bishop of the Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island attached to this notice.
d. The following information must be supplied for each person proposed:
i. The name of the person
ii. the clerical position or office currently held by the person
iii. The address of the person
iv. The telephone number and email address of the person
v. A statement that the person has consented to be proposed.
e. Proposed names should be sent or delivered to:
Secretary, Episcopal Search Committee
Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
1340 Cathedral Lane
Halifax NS B3H 2Z1
Proposed names may also be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receiving proposed names is no later than midnight ADT on Saturday, April 4th, 2020.