STREAMS OF HOPE
CONFERENCE DETAILS (as of May 8, 2017)
Vital Church Maritimes 2017 Conference takes place Thursday, Sept. 21 to Saturday, Sept. 23, at the Holiday Inn, Truro.
A three-day conference in Truro, N.S., focused on mission and Fresh Expressions of Church. Sponsored by The Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island, this learning event is for lay and clergy. Hear inspiring stories of hope and share ideas for starting new faith communities. Discuss, dream and design ways to create vital congregations and reach out to newcomers. It is recommended that parishes send a team and that participants stay for the entire event to gain the most benefit from the teaching.
VCM 2017 Draft Schedule
Our Keynote Speaker
The Rev’d. Canon Phil Potter is the Archbishops' Missioner and Fresh Expressions Team Leader in the Church of England. Phil was vicar of St Mark's, Haydock, Merseyside, for 20 years, leading and pastoring the church through many transitions; later serving as Director of Pioneer Ministry in the Diocese of Liverpool.
Before ordination, Phil worked in retail management and vocational guidance before becoming a professional singer songwriter. He has contributed to national and international strategies for promoting new ways of doing church and is a popular consultant and speaker. He has written two books: The Challenge of Change (2009), and The Challenge of Cell Church (2001).
Keynote Talk Titles:
- A new Church: Hope renewed
- A new heart for mission: Hope in the making
- A new leadership: Hope released
- A new future: Hope unseen
TENTATIVE Times (subject to change):
- Sept. 21 – 1 p.m., to 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 22 – 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Sept. 23 – 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Registration will be open to anyone, but it is limited, so sign-up early! Payment is by credit card only. No refunds. Visit www.nspeidiocese.ca. Deadline is September 12.
Conference Registration Fees: (including refreshments, some meals and materials)
Subject to change
$140 Early Bird registration (before August 22)
$150 for entire conference (date T.B.A.)
$125 for entire conference for students
$50 for one day
$25 for one evening keynote address
Maximum Total number of registrants -- 175
Location: Holiday Inn, Truro
The hotel is wheel-chair assessable, has plenty of free parking and complimentary High Speed Internet. It also features an indoor, heated swimming pool, fitness centre, business centre, as well as extensive food and beverage services available at the onsite restaurant and lounge. (Accommodation costs are not included in the Conference Registration fee.) To receive the discounted rate mention the group ‘Anglican Diocese of NS & PEI’.
Single/Double Guestrooms - $115 (until August 21)
Truro Holiday Inn direct online reservations booking link
Phone: 902-895-1651 (direct)
Or toll free: 1-877-660- 8550
E-mail: [email protected]
Address: 437 Prince St., Truro, NS, B2N 1E6
ANGLICAN FUNDING FOR REGISTRATION: (Diocese of NS & PEI)
- LAY PEOPLE: See the link to the diocesan "Lay Leadership Legacy Fund". Anglican lay leaders of any variety may apply for cost sharing of their registration fee (up to half the cost). (Resources Link/Forms and Applications)
- CLERGY: Here's the diocesan link to the Continuing Education information and forms. VCM 2017 definitely qualifies! Money well spent. (Resources Link/Clergy Resources)
- COMMUNITY OF ASSOCIATE PARISH PRIESTS & DEACONS and RETIRED CLERGY: Contact Diocesan Bishop Ron Cutler to apply for funding support.
Open Space Technology
This year instead of workshops and panel presentations we are hosting “Open Space Technology.” It is an interactive process with participants involved in simultaneous mini-discussions based around a theme or topic. In other words, it is a marketplace of inquiry, reflection and learning. This model is built upon the assumption that the expertise is already in the room. Through the evolution of sharing of ideas and discussion, participants can explore mission-related topics at a deeper level, being able to ask questions and creatively brainstorm within the group. Further explanation will be offered.
- See the Diocesan website (nspeidiocese.ca)
- Read the Anglican Net News
- Facebook group “Vital Church Maritimes 2017” for the latest developments.
- Got questions? Contact Rev. Fran Boutilier ([email protected]) and Rev. Lisa Vaughn ([email protected] and 902-420-0717).
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTICES:
Do you require childcare? If so, direct inquiries to Diocesan Youth & Family Ministry Coordinator, Allie Colp – [email protected]
Remember to eat lunch before you arrive on Sept. 21.
Hotel check-in is at 3 p.m.
This conference is scent-free. Kindly refrain from wearing scented products.