Interim Minister of Faith Development - Children, Youth, & Families
First Baptist Church Halifax, an inclusive and progressive congregation, seeks a PartTime Term Interim Minister of Faith Development - Children, Youth, & Families to fulﬁll a twelve month parental leave vacancy (anticipated interim period of April 2020 - March 2021). The Interim Minister will join the staﬀ team and lay leadership in a time of signiﬁcant growth and will assist the congregation in active experimentation and implementation of ministry goals that will shape our congregation’s future.
The Interim Minister of Faith Development - Children, Youth, & Families, will work an average of twenty hours a week in design, development, and delivery of faith development programs, including aligning those programs with the social justice work of the congregation, and assisting with speciﬁed congregational duties.
More detailed information including required competencies, experience, and primary responsibilities are available on the church website: https://fbchalifax.ca/job-opening/ (or look for link under “happenings” menu on the website). Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume to Chair of Diaconate, Kathy Schwartzentruber at
email@example.com, screening of applications will begin on February 7, 2020.
Skills and Competencies:
• Theological beliefs consistent with FBCH’s core values as an inclusive and progressive Christian community
• Growing in faith, creative and visionary, intellectually alive, strong in character and integrity, and relationally responsible
• Open to collaborative ministry in the context of a church staﬀ working closely with both lay leadership and staﬀ members
• An active imagination about ministry and a willingness to experiment with new programming and modes of faith formation
• Experience in and ability to plan and implement programs
• Experience in leading individuals and groups
• Highly motivated and goal oriented
• Excellent relationship building skills
• Good communication skills; both written and verbal
• Willing to work within a faith community shaped by Baptist polity and practice
Experience and Education:
• Experience actively leading faith development in a congregation either on staﬀ or in a volunteer capacity
• Experience working with children and adolescents
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education, social work, theology or equivalent; work toward a Master of Divinity degree preferred
The Interim Minister of Faith Development - Children, Families, and Youth works collaboratively with the Diaconate, Senior Minister, and Board of Christian Education to maintain current faith development programs and create/develop new programs and opportunities for children, youth, and families that are consistent with the church’s Five Guiding Statements. The Interim Minister is responsible to:
• Design, develop, and deliver comprehensive faith development opportunities for children, youth, and families that are consistent with the goals of the Diaconate, Senior Minister, and Board of Christian Education.
• Link and align faith development with the worshipping life of the congregation and support children and youth in worship leadership.
• Nurture relationships with children, youth, and families. This includes making regular, in-person contact with children, youth, and their parents outside of Sunday activities, including families that are new to the congregation and those whose existing connection may be tenuous.
• Link and align faith development with the social justice work of the congregation and regularly join children, youth, and families in participation in the congregation’s social justice work and provide reﬂection on the connection between justice and faith.
• Develop faith formation resources that children, youth, and families can access online/at home. • Attend related Board and committee meetings