Seeking a Music Director
The Church of St. Margaret of Scotland is a dynamic, inclusive and welcoming Anglican church, with members of all ages, located in Halifax’s North End. We are seeking a Music Director who is excited at the prospect of making a meaningful contribution to the spiritual life of a vibrant faith community.
The Music Director’s core duties will be to
- accompany hymns and service music on the organ and/or piano on Sunday mornings and at occasional special services, and to play preludes and postludes;
- direct, and develop our small but enthusiastic choir.
The successful candidate will
- develop the choir, leading weekly practices, and teaching vocal production, musical expression (tuning, dynamics, diction etc.), gradually introducing part-singing and music reading, and preparing anthems at least monthly;
- collaborate with the Rector in choosing hymns and other service music. The hymns should reflect the readings of the day and their place in the liturgy, and both respect and develop the congregation’s repertoire;
- be comfortable working in a broad range of musical genres, from classical to contemporary.
Familiarity with Anglican liturgy and hymnody would be a distinct asset. Other asset qualifications include
- the ability to develop and direct a contemporary music ensemble to lead the service once a month,
- the ability to develop and lead a junior choir which, would practice weekly and perform monthly, and
- the willingness and ability to put on occasional concerts and musical fund-raisers, possibly involving additional singers and/or musicians from outside the parish.
It is understood that the Music Director will need to spend adequate time planning the music program and rehearsing. The organ is a two manual electronic Rogers C-505. The piano is a recent model Yamaha upright. Remuneration is negotiable, taking into consideration the RCCO scale.
Candidates are asked to submit a covering letter and a CV by April 15, 2018. For further information or to apply, please contact The Rev. Canon Charles Bull, at [email protected] or 902-455-2451.